Now make quick and easy tomato soup at home. This is already a healthy version of the soup; however, you can make it healthier by skipping butter and cream while making it. Serve this piping hot garnished with some chopped green coriander and crispy croutons.
- 250 gm roughly chopped tomatoes
- 2 Medium sized roughly chopped onions
- Some chopped fresh coriander
- 1 Tbsp fresh cream (optional)
- Some salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 dried kashmiri/bedgi red chilli
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 Inch chopped ginger
- 3-4 Cloves of garlic
- 1/2 Tsp black peppercorns
- 2-3 Cups of water
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 2-3 Slices of white/brown bread
- 2 Tsp ghee
To make the croutons:
- Cut 2-3 white or brown bread slices in 1/2-1 inch pieces and shallow fry them in 1 tsp ghee or butter on a tawa (skillet).
- Toast these pieces on both sides till they become crisp and golden brown.
To make the soup:
- Heat a pressure cooker and add 1 tbsp butter followed by 1 bay leaf, 2 dried Kashmiri/Bedgi red chillies, 1 star anise and 1/2 tsp black pepper corn. Sauté for a min.
- Add 1/2 inch chopped ginger and 3-4 cloves of garlic; again sauté for a min.
- In goes, 2 medium sized roughly slices onions and cook till they become slightly pink in color.
- Now, add 250 gm roughly chopped tomatoes followed by 1/2 cup water and some chopped fresh coriander. Place the pressure cooker lid and cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Once done, let it cool and then grind it smooth puree using a blender. Ensure to remove the bay leaf before grinding. Strain the mixture using a strainer.
- Transfer the strained soup in a sauce pan and add around 2.5 cups of water to it. Bring it to a boil, add 1 tsp sugar and some salt to taste.
- I am adding 1 tbsp fresh cream to the soup, however, this is optional and you can skip this.
- Simmer the soup for 1-2 min and serve it piping hot topped with some crispy croutons. Enjoy!
Looking for products used in this recipe? Use the links below to purchase them or similar
products on Amazon.in