Red sauce pasta recipe with Indian twist is what you will get in this recipe. I have used mozzarella cheese which takes this pasta to another level, though you may skip mozzarella if you really cannot find it. Try out this delicious pasta and do share your experience, would love to hear them 🙂
- 1 Cup Penne or any other pasta
- 4 Kashmiri/Bedgi Red Chillies (seeds removed) OR ½ Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 4 Small OR 2 Big tomatoes
- ½ Tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
- ½ Tsp mixed herbs (Oregano, Basil, Rosemary & Thyme)
- 1 Tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 Processed cheese block (20 gm) OR Parmesan cheese
- Some mozzarella cheese cut in to pieces (optional)
- Salt to taste
To cook the pasta:
- Boil some water in a medium or large size vessel.
- Add some salt to taste and drizzle a little bit of cooking oil.
- Add 1 cup of penne or any other choice of pasta.
- Cook the pasta on medium to high flame for around 10 min. Pasta should not be over cooked i.e. It should not be very hard or very soft.
- Drain the pasta and run some cold water over pasta so that it does not stick to each other and to stop further cooking. Keep the pasta aside for now.
To make the sauce:
- Boil some water in a medium sized pan and add 4 small or 2 medium size tomatoes.
- Add 4 Kashmiri red chillies to the water. If you do not have these then you can add red chilli powder later.
- After 10 min of boiling, tomato skin will start to come off. Turn off the flame and let it cool to room temperature.
- Take off their skin and eye portion once it is cooled and grind in a blender jar to a smooth paste.
- Now, take a pan and heat 2 tbsp cooking oil.
- Add 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic to the hot oil sauté till they turn golden in color.
- Add 1 medium size onion finely chopped and sauté till they become golden in color.
- Once the onion is done, add tomato pure to the mix.
- If Kashmiri red chillies are not used on the tomato pure, then add 1/2 tsp red chilli powder.
- Add 1/2 tsp of mixed herbs which a combination of oregano, basil, rosemary and thyme. Mix it well.
- Add 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper and 1 tbsp tomato ketchup to the mix.
- Add some salt and cook the sauce for 2-3 min.
To make the pasta:
- Add boiled pasta to the sauce in the same pan.
- Mix the pasta well with the sauce so that it gets a very good coat of sauce around it. Cook for another minute and pasta is ready to be served.
- To serve, make a layer of hot pasta in a plate and add a layer of mozzarella cheese pieces over it. Top it up with another layer of hot pasta.
- Grate some Parmesan or processed cheese over the pasta. And finally garnish it with some parsley or coriander. Enjoy!
Looking for products used in this recipe? Use the links below to purchase them or similar
products on Amazon.in