- Here I reveal my tried and tested recipe. After numerous attempts, I could find the perfect balance of ingredients to make this popular dessert form Indian subcontinent region. I normally stay away from sweets, but, Rasmalai is my favourite and I cannot resist myself from this soft, spongy and juicy dessert.
To make Rasgullas (Cottage cheese balls):
- 1 Litre Cow’s Milk (Amul brand)
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 Tsp white vinegar
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 3 Cups water
To make Rabri/Rabdi (Reduced milk):
- 1 Litre Buffalo’s full fat milk
- Few strands of saffron
- ½ Cup sugar
- ¼ Cup sliced Pistachios, Almonds and Cashew nuts
To make Rasgullas:
- Take 1 Litre of Cow’s milk in a heavy bottom pan and bring it to a boil.
- Switch off the flame and add 1 Tbsp lemon juice and slowly stir the milk. Add the remaining lemon juice and stir till milk starts to curdle.
- Add 1 Tsp of white vinegar to the curdled milk and gently stir the milk. Milk solids will completely separate from whey water in a while.
- To separate the milk solids(chhena) from whey water, strain the curdled milk using a cheese cloth.
- Pour some cold water on this chhena separated after straining.
- Lift the cheese cloth from all the sides and squeeze as much water as possible, tie a knot and hang it on the tap of your kitchen sink for 20 min.
- After 20 min, once the Chhena is ready, knead the Chhena with fingers and fist for 3-4 min.
- Divide the Chhena in small portions and roll them in to balls with the help of your palms.
- Gently flatten the balls ensuring that they don’t have any cracks.
- To cook these Rasgullas, take 2 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a pressure cooker. Once the sugar melts, add one more cup of water and bring it to a boil.
- Drop the Rasgullas in the boiling syrup and cover the cooker using lid with the whistle on.
- Cook the Rasgullas for 1 min on high flame and then 6 min on medium flame.
- After total 7 min of cooking, turn off the flame and immediately release the pressure by running some cold water on the lid of the pressure cooker. Ensure not to place the cooker in a vessel filled with cold water.
- Open the pressure cooker lid once all the pressure is released.
- The Rasgullas will double in size!
To make Rabri:
- Take 1 Litre of full cream buffalo milk in a pan and bring it to boil.
- Take a few strands of saffron and add little milk to it. Mix it well and add it to the boiling milk.
- Lower the flame and stop stirring the milk. This will help form a thin layer of cream at the top in a while.
- With the help of a spoon, stick the cream layer to the sides of the pan. Repeat this step without stirring the milk till it reduces to 1/3 of its quantity.
- Scrape off the cream from sides of the vessel and collect it in a bowl.
- Add 1/4th cup of chopped Almonds, Pistachios and Cashews to the reduced milk and 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Stir the milk and cook till it reduces a little more and the Rabri is ready.
To Make Rasmalai:
- Take one Rasgulla at a time and place it between two spatulas and squeeze out the syrup.
- While keeping the Rasgulla pressed between the two spatulas, gently slide it in the hot Rabri so it absorbs the Rabri while regaining its shape.
- Repeat the above step for all the Rasgullas.
- Add the cream that was taken out in a bowl earlier over the Rasgullas and give it a gentle mix. Rasmalai is now ready.
- Chill the Rasmalai for at least 2 hours before serving. Enjoy!
Looking for products used in this recipe? Use the links below to purchase them or similar
products on Amazon.in
Products from Amazon.in
Price: INR 470.00Was: INR 595.00
Price: INR 317.00Was: INR 599.00
Cookware & Tableware:
Products from Amazon.in
Price: INR 1,110.00Was: INR 1,420.00
Price: INR 3,019.00Was: INR 3,350.00