Paneer is always like a royal treat for vegetarians in Indian cuisine. One of the many popular preparations of paneer is Paneer Tikka Masala and it is frequently ordered item from vegetarian section of an Indian restaurant menu. Traditionally Tikka, Paneer, Vegetable or chicken is cooked in a large clay oven known as tandoor. This recipe uses alternate method of making tikka using a skillet or a Tawa. I am sure that this recipe will enable you to make restaurant style paneer tikka masala at home!
- 4 Tbsp Curd or Yogurt
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp Crushed Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Chaat Masala
- 2 Tbsp Roasted Chana Daal Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Juice from Half Lemon
- 1 Tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- Salt to Taste
- 250 gm Diced Paneer
- 1 Medium sized Onion – layers cut into big pieces
- 1 Medium sized Capsicum cut into big pieces
For Frying Paneer, Onion & Capsicum:
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 2-3 Tbsp Oil
- 3 Medium Sized Onion – Sliced
- 5 Almonds
- 3 Medium Sized Tomatoes – Boiled
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 1 Slit Green Chilli
- 2 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala + 1/4 Tsp Chaat Masala
- 1/4 Tsp Crushed Black Pepper + 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 and 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Little bit of Red Food Color (Optional)
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Crushed Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi)
- Salt to Taste
- In a big size bown, take 4 Tbsp curd/yogurt, 1/4th Tsp turmeric, 1/2 Tsp crushed black pepper, 1 Tsp coriander powder, 1/2 Tsp chaat masala, 1/2 Tsp cumin powder, 1/2 Tsp garam masala, 1 Tsp of red chilli powder, 1 Tbsp mustard oil, 1 Tbsp ginger garlic paste, 2 Tbsp of roasted chana daal powder, juice from half lemon and some salt to taste.
- Give this marinade a good mix and drop the diced paneer pieces to this mixture.
- Gently mix the paneer so that every piece gets a good coating of marinade and take care not to break the paneer pieces.
- Add 1 medium sized onion layers cut in to big pieces and 1 medium sized capsicum cut into big pieces in the remaining marinade and mix it so that each piece of onion and capsicum gets a good coat of marinade.
- Let the paneer, onion and capsicum marinate for 15-20 min.
- After 20 min of marination, heat 1 Tbsp oil on a skillet/tawa and place the paneer pieces one by one.
- Cook the paneer pieces on high flame till they become golden brown. Flip the pieces and cook golden brown on the other side too.
- Take out the paneer pieces from the skillet/tawa once they are golden brown from both the sides.
- Place marinated onion and capsicum pieces on the same skillet/tawa and cook for 2-3 min on both sides.
- Take these out on a plate once done and keep aside.
To Make Gravy:
- Heat 2-3 Tbsp oil in a medium size pan.
- Once the oil heats up, add 3 medium size sliced onion to the oil and fry these on a high flame till they turn golden brown in colour.
- Add 5 almonds to golden brown onions and sauté this for 2-3 min. Keep the sautéed onions and almond aside to cool down.
- Take 3 medium size tomatoes boiled in plain water for 15 min and take the skin off once they cool completely. Make sure to remove the eye portion of the tomatoes.
- Puree the tomatoes without adding water and sautéed onions by adding little water using a blender.
- Now in a pan, heat 1/4 cup oil and add 1 slit green chilli, 2 Tbsp ginger garlic paste to the oil and sauté this for a min.
- Add 1/4 Tsp turmeric powder and sauté for a few seconds.
- Now, add 1/2 Tsp garam masala, 1/4 Tsp chaat masala, 1/4 Tsp crushed black pepper and 1 Tsp coriander powder and sauté this for a min.
- Add 1 1/2 Tsp red chilli powder and stir all the masalas for a few seconds.
- In goes, fried onion paste with the masalas and mix it well and cook for a few seconds.
- Add tomato puree to the mix and let it simmer for a few seconds.
- Add little bit of red food color which is completely optional. I am adding this to get the restaurant style color to the gravy.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and cover the pan with a lid and cook till the oil separates from the masala also do not forget to stir this occasionally.
- Once the masala is ready, add 2 Tbsp of crushed dried fenugreek leaves/kasuri methi and some salt to taste to the masala.
- Add paneer, capsicum and onion pieces to the this gravy and mix all the pieces well withing the gravy without breaking the paneer pieces.
- Cook this for a few seconds and yummy Paneer Tikka Masala is ready!
Looking for products used in this recipe? Use the links below to purchase them or similar products on Amazon.in
Cookware & Tableware:
Products from Amazon.in
Products from Amazon.in
Price: INR 2,949.00Was: INR 4,045.00