I love Pav bhaji and I believe a lot of you also do so! For all those who’ve never tried Pav bhaji before, you can try this recipe and see how amazing this Indian street food tastes. This is an easy and hassle free recipe to make super yummy Pav bhaji. I’ve been making this for years now and last year only made this for around 80 people on my Niece’s birthday and everyone loved it.
Do give this recipe a try.
- 1 Cup soaked dried peas
- 4 medium sized (250 gm) peeled and cut potatoes
- ½ Cup cauliflower
- 1 Small capsicum finely chopped
- 2 Medium sized onions finely chopped
- 2 Big tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 ½ Tsp red chili powder
- 2 ½ Tsp pav bhaji masala
- 1/8 Tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/8 Tsp red food colour (optional)
- 50 gm butter
- 2 Tbsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- Chopped fresh coriander for garnishing
- Pav (Pav bhaji bread)
Steps to make bhaji:
- Add 250 gm chopped potatoes, 1 cup soaked peas and 1/2 cup cauliflower in a pressure cooker. Add 1 cup water to the cooker and cook them on low to medium flame for 5-7 whistles.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, mash them well using a masher and set aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp cooking oil in a pan and add 3 medium sized onions finely chopped to it and sauté them till they are golden in color.
- In goes 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste and sauté till raw taste of ginger garlic goes off.
- Add 1 small finely chopped capsicum and sauté till it is cooked.
- Now, add 1/8 tsp turmeric powder and saute.
- Add 1 & 1/2 tsp red chili powder and sauté.
- Add 2 big finely chopped tomatoes and 2 tbsp water and give it a mix.
- Cover this and cook this on low flame till tomatoes become soft.
- Mash the tomatoes using back of a spoon once they are done.
- Add mashed vegetables cooked earlier to this masala.
- Add 1 & 1/2 tsp pav bhaji masala and some salt to taste. Give it a mix.
- Add 1/8 tsp red food color to the bhaji. This is completely optional.
- Add 50 gm butter to the bhaji. You can increase of reduce quantity of butter as per your taste.
- Mix the bhaji well and it is ready.
Steps to toast pav:
- Take 1 tsp butter on a pan.
- You can directly toast the pav on butter, but I like to add some masalas to it.
- So, add some chopped onion, chopped coriander, pinch of pav bhaji masala and a pinch of red chili powder and mix it.
- Take a pav and slice it in half. Place the pav upside down on the masala. Add some butter on the pav and toast it on both the sides
- Take the pav out on a plate and serve the pav bhaji with a dollop of butter and some chopped onions. Enjoy!
Looking for products used in this recipe? Use the links below to purchase them or similar
products on Amazon.in