Matar Paneer is one of the popular vegetarian North Indian curry made with Cottage Cheese (Paneer) and Peas (Matar) in a tomato-onion based gravy. This is served with Roti, Rice, Naan or Kulcha. Generally, restaurants use artificial food color to give red color to the gravy, but in this recipe we are going to use a natural method to get that red color!
- 6 Tbsp cooking oil
- 250 gm cottage cheese (paneer) cut into cubes
- 10 Kashmiri or bedgi red chillies
- 2 Medium sized roughly chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 Tsp Coriander (dhaniya) powder
- 1/2 Tsp garam masala
- 1 Tsp cumin (jeera)
- 1 & 1/2 Tsp Kitchen King masala
- 2 Medium sized roughly sliced onions
- 1 Tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 Tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic
- 1 & 1/2 inch ginger
- Salt to taste
To fry the Paneer:
- Shallow fry 250 gm Paneer (cottage cheese) cut in big size cubes in around 6 tbsp cooking. Ensure frying them on medium to high flame on both sides. You can also cut the paneer into smaller pieces.
- Keep them aside once done.
To make the gravy:
- Now, take 10 Kashmiri red chillies or Bedgi chillies and deseed them. Soak these chillies in hot water for 10 min.
- Back to the oil that was used for frying the Paneer, heat it and add 2 medium onions roughly sliced. Sauté these till they become golden in color.
- Add 1 tbsp garlic and 1 & 1/2 inch ginger (roughly chopped) to the oil.
- Add 2 medium sized roughly chopped tomatoes. Cover and cook for 5 min on low flame.
- Once done, switch off the flame and let it cool. Later, grind the mixture along with soaked chillies into a smooth paste using a mixer grinder. Do not add the leftover oil used for frying to the blender jar.
- Heat the leftover oil; add 1 tsp cumin (jeera), 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and sauté for a minute.
- Now, add little bit of masala paste followed by 1 tsp red chili powder and 1 tsp coriander powder. Mix this and sauté till raw smell of red chilli powder goes off.
- Add remaining masala paste and cook for 30-40 min on low to medium flame. Add water in between if needed.
- After around 20-25 min, add 1/4 cup green peas, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1 1/2 tsp kitchen king masala and some salt to taste. Mix everything well and cook further till oil separates from the sides.
- Add fried Paneer pieces to the cooked gravy and mix it well. Cook this for another minute.
- Restaurant style matar paneer without adding any artificial food color is now ready to be served with your choice of bread. Enjoy!
Looking for products used in this recipe? Use the links below to purchase them or similar
products on Amazon.in
Cookware & Tableware: