This butterscotch cake recipe includes the recipe of butterscotch/ caramel sauce, praline and the cake decoration. This cake tastes awesome and is a treat to the eyes as well!
For Butterscotch/ Caramel Sauce:
- ½ Cup sugar
- ¼ Cup butter
- ½ Cup fresh cream (low fat)
- ½ Cup almonds
- ¾ Cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Sponge cake made by adding butterscotch essence
- Simple syrup (1/2 cup water + 4 Tbsp sugar + few drops of butterscotch essence)
- Whipped cream made from 250 ml of whipping cream + few drops of yellow food color (using non-dairy whipping cream which is already sweetened)
- Butterscotch/ caramel sauce
To make butterscotch/caramel sauce:
- Heat a pan and add 1/2 cup sugar to it. Let the sugar melt on medium flame and stir the sugar only when it starts to melt.
- Add 1/4 cup salted butter (at room temperature) once the sugar is completely melted. Add a pinch of salt if you are using unsalted butter. Mix everything together.
- Now, add 1/2 cup fresh cream, mix it well and switch off the flame. Set aside and let it cool.
To make the praline:
- Dry roast 1/2 cup almonds in a pan on medium flame for 3-4 min.
- Crush the roasted almonds using mortar-pestle and keep aside.
- Add 3/4 cup sugar in a pan and melt it on medium flame. Do not stir it till it starts to melts.
- Add 2 tbsp butter followed by crushed almonds. Quickly mix everything well and pour it on greased surface.
- Roll it using a rolling pin and break it in to pieces once it is set.
- Set aside 6-8 praline pieces aside and add remaining in a zip lock bag. Crush these in to small pieces using a rolling pin.
To make the cake:
- Take a cake base and remove its top and cut the base in three equal layers using a serrated knife.
- Take a cake board, apply some whipped cream on it and place the bottom most cake layer on it.
- Sprinkle some simple syrup made using 1/2 cup water with 4 tbsp sugar and some essence.
- Now, place a dollop of whipped cream and spread it evenly using a spatula. Add some crushed praline pieces over it.
- Repeat the same process for second cake layer.
- Place the top cake layer and sprinkle some simple syrup. Again, add a big dollop of cream and cover all sides of the cake. Level the top and finish the sides of the cake using a scraper. Chill the cake for 15 min in the refrigerator.
- Once chilled, stick some crushed praline on the side of the cake.
- Fill a piping bag with the caramel sauce and pour it along the top edge of the cake. Let the drops of sauce flow over the sides.
- Take another piping bag and fill it with some whipped cream and make 4-6 swirls on top. I am using nozzle no. 3 to make the swirls.
- Decorate cake top with some crushed praline and pieces that were set aside.
- Your beautiful butterscotch cake is ready. Enjoy!
Looking for products used in this recipe? Use the links below to purchase them or similar products on Amazon.in